The Dorothy and Roland P. Bishop Residence, located in the Historic Tennis Club neighborhood, was completed in 1925. The Bishop Residence was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style by notable California architect William J. Dodd of the firm of Dodd & Richards. The house is considered to be a rare “high-style” interpretation of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Bishop was the head of the largest confectionary and baked goods enterprise on the west coast and was known as the “Candy King.” In 1930, his firm merged with the National Biscuit Co., today’s NABISCO.
On September 18, 2019 the Palm Springs city council unanimously (5-0) approved the Class 1 Historic Resource designation of the Dorothy & Roland P. Bishop Residence. Tracy Conrad, the property owner and a PSPF board member, made public comment in support of the PSPF nomination.
On September 10, 2019 the city’s Historic Site Preservation Board voted unanimously (7-0) to recommend to city council approval of the Class 1 Historic Resource designation of the Dorothy & Roland P. Bishop Residence. Tracy Conrad, owner of the Bishop Residence, and PSPF member and nomination author Steve Vaught, made public comment in support of the nomination.
On June 6, 2019 the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation (acting as agent for the owner) submitted the 72-page Class 1 Historic Site nomination for the Dorothy & Roland P. Bishop Residence to the Palm Springs Historic Site Preservation Board.
In January of 2019, the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation board of directors assigned the task of writing the Class 1 Historic Site nomination of the Dorothy & Roland P. Bishop Residence to Steve Vaught.