Palm Springs Preservation Foundation
 

Village Manor Class 1 Historic Site - 562 West Arenas Road

Village Manor Dan ChavkinPhoto by Dan Chavkin, Courtesy Jade Nelson

The Village Manor was designed by architectural designer Herbert Burns in 1955. The small hotel still features many of the original interiors (including pink tile bathrooms) and was one of the first midcentury hotels in Palm Springs to be sympathetically rehabilitated. The hotel operates today as the Orbit In and has gained national recognition as one of Palm Springs' "destination hotels" with its sublime midcentury architecture and desert resort ambiance.

On January 13, 2016 the Palm Springs city council unanimously approved (5-0) the Class 1 Historic Site designation of the Village Manor. Making public comment in enthusiastic support of the nomination was PSPF board member Barbara Marshall who congratulated the author for the well-written nomination. Marshall also recognized the continuing stewardship of the current owners.

On June 9, 2015 the city of Palm Springs' Historic Site Preservation Board met and voted unanimously (7-0) to forward a proposed resolution to the city council to designate the Village Manor a Class 1 Historic Site.

On April 1, 2015 PSPF member Jade Nelson submitted the 40-page Class 1 Historic Site nomination for the Village Manor to the city of Palm Springs. Nelson graciously recognized the previous research done on architect Herbert Burns by PSPF board members Ron and Barbara Marshall.

home : mission : history : board : recognition : vintage pspf : archives : lost : then and now : successes & setbacks : tribute journals : membership : donate : get involved : our sponsors
our volunteers
: for homeowners : preservation links : tax credits : other links : contact us : online booklet : calendar

Copyright 2010 Palm Springs Preservation Foundation. All rights reserved, except for photographs used by permission of rights holders.
Created by Thetford Web Development